






I am a bad cook. Well, actually, I am pretty certain I would be a bad cook if I ever did much cooking. I hate cooking. The idea of coming home after a long day of work and measuring and chopping and stirring and baking holds no appeal. I spent some time in France during college, and under the influence of the romantic French city where I lived, actually took a French cooking class. After tasting one of my efforts, the instructor announced to the class that he hoped he'd never have to eat at my house. This may have scarred me for life. Although no one in our house is underfed or badly nourished, I do consider this failing to be one of my BSM traits. BSM stands for "Bad, Stupid Mommy." I was given this name by Annie during the midst of a massive meltdown soon after she came home. Unfortunately, it was in front of a bunch of people that worked for me and I was code-named BSM for quite some time. At this point in my overly busy life, though, I not going to take on gourmet cooking.
Anyway, despite the lack of culinary ability in our house, the Food Network and other cooking shows are quite popular. Recently we've been watching one called "Cupcake Wars," in which professional bakers produce mind-boggling gourmet cupcakes in large quantities in short periods of time. Annie loves this show and came up with the idea to have a family competition, with Charlie and Jack against Bethany and myself. And, of course, Annie got to be the judge and make up all the rules.
We loaded up on frosting and decorations, including gummy worms, Skittles, sprinkles and crushed Butterfingers. After Annie explained the rules, she set the timer and each team had 20 minutes to frost and decorate 12 mini-cupcakes (and yes, we did actually bake them, though from a mix) After the bell rang, we had to present the cupcakes to the judge and explain our decorations. I am pleased to announce that after careful taste-testing and deliberation by Judge Annie and Judge Jack (I am a little unclear exactly how Jack became both competitor and judge) the girls were declared victorious!
I think we will be having a rematch soon.
July 28 Addendum: while cleanng up today, I ran across notes made by Judge Annie. Here's how she rated the teams:
BOYS: More Passion. Cupcakes are good design. Love the speech.
GIRLS: Great Feeling. Loved the speech. Excellent Passion.
It was obviously a close contest!








2 comments:
1) You should never have "given up" the BSM thing to a bunch like us - it may now follow you forever! ;)
2) This is a really great idea - I somehow have a feeling that it will be repeated in our house before too long!
3) That's a big bunch of fun / love / joy / and just plain family for a 'bsm' to be involved with! (See - I knew I could come up with a way to work 'bsm' back in there!)
hugs - aus and co.
Sounds like a fun idea! Will have to keep it in mind! Dinner soon? (We keep saying that to each other - we should put a date to it!)
Ruth
Post a Comment