Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

When I was a child I expected I would have children, it just seemed like that would be how my life would go. And then for a long time it seemed like that wasn't going to happen. Marriage later in life, fertility stuff...though it seemed like it wasn't meant to be, adoption was always at the back of both our minds. It took some friends starting their own adoption journey to get us going and on November 9, 2005, Annie came into our lives. Eighteen months later, we met our Bethany and 18 months after that, Jack.

I never thought I would be so blessed. Every day they surprise me and make me proud. They have overcome so much and have more challenges to face in life (as do we all) but when I think of the scared little ones we first met, it's astounding to see how far they have come. They do drive me totally crazy a lot of the time. I don't think either Charlie or I realized that level of competitiveness we would have to endure. Why it's important who finishes their cereal first or gets dressed first I am not sure, but apparently it is very important when you are 5, 6 and 7. And one will smack the other and get a time out but a little later later they are giggling together (and more than likely plotting some mischief).

Charlie had to work today and we had one of those frustrating, cranky days("Mommy, Jack looked at me funny!" "Mommy, Bethany hit me!" "Mommy, Annie didn't wait for me!") but they are sleeping peacefully now and in this time of quiet I am reminded how truly lucky I am.

3 comments:

Aus said...

You mean your kids act like kids? :) Ain't life wonderful that way! Hope that you had all that you wanted on Mother's Day - couldn't be happier for you guys!

hugs - aus and co.

Crystal said...

Thanks for sharing! So neat to see where everyone is from.

Thank you so much for your prayers! It means the WORLD to us!!!

... and THANK YOU for sharing your heart journey with me. Hearing other successful heart stories really helps lift me up.

Christy said...

Betsy,

You explain motherhood the best. My oldest also "races with cereal" and is competitive like that, so it was good to see I'm not the only one that "endures" it :).

Your children are adorable and you guys are such great parents.

Christy
mom to MIa, Ava and Kai, ages 5, 4, and 2. adopted 2005, 2006 and 2008