So it's most likely hit our house, just me (so far). I say "most likely" because that's what my doctor was pretty sure it was, but they don't actually test for it unless you are hospitalized or very ill. So I guess I can live with the uncertainty. I have to say it seems a lot like regular flu but just stronger symptoms and longer-lived. And you not only get the respiratory stuff, but also the gastro stuff all at the same time. I've been off work for a week which it's extremely annoying as it's a very busy time there and lots going on with the kids at this time of the year too. So far, so good with the rest of the family but I am not holding my breath.
It was kind of a good thing that I was home, though, the other day, as the phone rang and it was the after school day care. I knew it couldn't be anything good and was a little woozy from the cough syrup with codeine. I picked up the phone and barked "Who got hurt!!!!????" It was Bethany. The kids were playing some kind of running game on the playgroud, Jack grabbed her dress trying to get ahead and she fell and sliced open her forehead. Mommy adrenaline kicked in and cleared out my brain and I rushed her to Urgent Care (where they made me wear a facemask due to the flu stuff) and they said she would need stitches. Charlie came right from work also and took the other two kids and the doctor and I dealt with a poor terrified little girl. She had a couple of surgeries on her hands before she was adopted and she has shared that they were very scary and painful for her so she's even more scared than normal about medical treatment. When they were explaining to her what they were going to do, she kept repeating "Oh My God, you've GOT to be kidding!!!!" We did have to wrap her up for the stitches but after all was said and done she was a very brave girl. Even though she said she wanted to go home, immediately go back to China and trade Jack in for another brother, she still made sure to get him a sticker and a sucker when she was offered them at the clinic.
Her major disappointment though she can't go to the first swimming lesson tonight since she can't get her head wet. My parents were nice enough to give us a membership to a local community center for all our birthdays (they are all within a 2month time period). This included swimming lessons for the kids and Bethany will also start ballet/tap this Saturday (Annie has NO interest in dance classes). Bethany is somewhat comforted by the fact they are shopping for tap and ballet shoes after swimming tonight.
I am glad the kids are starting some outside activities, but sad in a way too. We have deliberately held back on most organized activities for a couple of reasons- one, we don't want to get over-committed on the weekends and two, we wanted to really settle in as a family before we did a lot of outside stuff. Our Family Days will be different now, but they will still be good I guess.
Off to have some more of that cough syrup and hopefully some sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








2 comments:
Wow - that's a full day! Hope that you feel better quickly - if you aren't eating cause you don't feel like it - try one of those instant breakfast mix with milk things - drinking is usually easier, and you got to keep some kind of fuel in your body! Hope that B heals quickly as well, and ain't she sweet to think of Jack too....a good sister!
Hugs - hang tough - aus and co.
Sorry to hear you are not feeling well - and just in time for your b-day! Hope you feel much better very soon and noone else gets it!! Hope Bethany heals quickly and glad you were there for her!!
Blessings, Ruth
Post a Comment