Sunday, May 15, 2011

At Least One Thing a Day.

We have too much stuff. Unbelievable, ridiculous, maybe even immoral, amounts of stuff. We have a very small house that is filled to the rafters. This includes the garage, the shed, the finished basement and the attic. We have 5 people, 2 dogs and 2 cats and really need the space currently occupied by stuff. When Charlie and I got our little place over coast, somehow I thought it would take a lot of the overflow. Which it did, to some exten, but now it's kind of full of stuff too. So last week, in the midst of spring cleaning fever, I decided that I could commit to giving away at least one (hopefuly more) thing a day for as long as possible. So far, it's been multiple bags of books to the book exchange at work, 3 large bags of clothes to a clothing drive, a couch, a dresser.

Today, we are taking a bag of things to Goodwill. So far we have some kids clothes, some of my clothes and the kids are right now looking for the one thing they have to give away today. This is a difficult task for them, so we are starting small (some Happy Meal toys, some small toys like play jewelry). The kids are going to give something away each week and I think we will need to work up to some bigger things. Some of their stuff we will probably sell on Craigslist and anything we get for that will have to be saved.

So we will see how this goes. The trick is going to be giving away more things than we bring in. Though we got something like 125 items of clothing yesterday from Craigslist yesterday, we have given away more than that in the last week (clearly their dressers and closets needed clearing out). I hope we can keep this up.

No comments: