
A few days ago, Annie passed a milestone - she now has been an American citizen longer than she was a Chinese citizen. When we first brought her home from China, she almost immediately started immersing herself in her new life and just as quickly started distancing herself from most things Chinese. After two days in preschool, she made it clear we were no longer to call her by her Chinese name, QiuQiu, or even Annie QiuQiu. It was just Annie. She didn't want to look at pictures from China or watch Chinese movies. She just wanted to move on.
Although we have attended Chinese cultural events and met Chinese people over the years (and had many, many meals at our favorite Chinese restaurant), it's not until fairly recently that she has expressed interest in possibly taking Chinese language lessons or learning more about the culture.
When I think back over the last 4 1/2 years, I also think about Annie's biological parents. I know that there is no way for the people who gave her life to know what that life is like now-where she is, how she is doing or what an absolutely amazing person she is. They don't know about how she is so capable in so many areas, what a good friend she is, her sometimes astounding bossiness and how sweet she can be. They haven't been presented with a letter she wrote that brings tears to your eyes, a cry of "Mommy, I am so glad you are home!" or a full-body snuggle as she drifts off to sleep. I never thought I would be the recipient of such gifts. I wish there was some way for them to know she is safe and loved and valued beyond anything.








1 comment:
Thank you for sharing this, I love the last paragraph, fits exactly what I think about our daughter!
Cara
Post a Comment