

I should preface this by saying that I totally understand we are not in the "real" China - we are staying on an island in a river in a big city, in an area that caters to adoptive families. But I still love it here.
Charlie, bless his heart, stayed with the kids in the hotel for a couple of hours this evening while I walked Shamian Island in search of t-shirts and shoes for Jack. The sights, sounds and smells are so foreign, yet familiar- this is our third time in Guangzhou and we will have spent a total of around 6 weeks here altogether when we leave on Friday. There is a school here so we always see lots of schoolchildren, which makes me wonder about what our kids might have been doing if their circumstances had been different in life. There is also a wedding photographer and today there were several brides and grooms taking photos at all the beautiful spots around the island. The women are especially gorgeous in fancy western-style wedding dresses. It makes me think that my girls may look like that one day on the eve of their own wedddings.
Shamian Island has changed, with some of the familiar shops gone or moved. But I found our old favorites and the funny thing is how many shopkeepers remembered us. Not only remembered us but remember when we were here last and one man even remembered our names. His shop has moved from the main drag to a side street due to the government taking back his old building. He invited me to sit down and have tea with him. I am sure it is partially a marketing thing, but it was pleasant to talk to him anyway. I ran into numerous families walking around and chatted with several.
Jack is doing well--several people have commented on his "energy" already. We have issues with jealousy from all three of them, mostly relating to who gets to sit with Mommy or on Mommy. But as I write this, the three of them are rolling around on the living room floor laughing their heads off.
This afternoon our group met for the requisite "Red Couch" pictures - a tradition in which adoptive families take a photo on a sofa at the White Swan hotel. Amidst the madness of trying to get a bunch of kids ranging from babies to about 8 to sit on a couch and smile for the camera, you couldn't help but notice the joy radiating from this group-such happiness that these amazing children are finally in the arms of their families.








3 comments:
GREAT NEWS! We too loved the island - and the Victory! Loved the red couch pics too - even if Baba's head 'got lost'!
Enjoy the rest of your journey -
hugs -
aus and family
Love the picts on the red couch! I also really enjoyed seeing a bride and groom when we were in China.
Sounds like your hands are going to be full :)!!
What a gorgeous group of children!
Post a Comment